Outdoor yard games are my absolute FAV! They are the perfect way to spend an afternoon in the yard with your family and friends.
Some of my favorites are:
Washer Toss is a similar style game to bags/cornhole but is easier for transport and super easy to make yourself!
How to Build Your Washers Game
- (4) 16 inch 2×4
- (4) 13 inch 2×4
- (8) washers – any size that you prefer (we used 3/4″)
- (2) 4 inch PVC couplings/pipes
- (2) 16 inch plywood (don’t get anything too thin/flimsy)
- 2×8 wood screws (anything will work really)
- Liquid nail or gorilla glue
- Paint/stain (optional) I recommend painting or staining BEFORE getting started on the construction
TIP: We went to Home Depot for our supplies. They can cut all of the wood/pvc for you so you don’t have to do any sawing at home.
Step 1: Build the base
Attach the 16 inch boards to the 13 inch boards to create a square. Repeat for the second set.
TIP: We noticed that the wood was splitting a bit if we didn’t drill pilot holes first. Take a small drill bit and create a hole for screw to go in and you will avoid the wood splitting.
Step 2: Attach the bottom piece to the base you built
The board might not line up exactly but that is ok. Make sure that if you painted the board that you place it face down before you start drilling. That way when you flip the base over you will see your paint/stain on the bottom.
Step 3: Attach the PVC
Place the PVC in the center of the board. Liquid nail will dry faster (we learned this as we did the project) You could also use a small paint can instead of the PVC.
Step 4: Paint/label the washers
Paint/label half of the washers (4 of them). We decided to paint our washers 2 different colors so we could tell them apart. You can paint them any color you’d like.
Now you are ready to play!
Washers Game Rules:
Setting Up the Game:
- Place the two washer pits about 20 feet apart
- Can be played with 2 players or 4 players
- Decide your teams and stand directly next to the box on opposite sides of the playing field
- To determine who goes first: both players will line up directly next to the box and toss a washer to the opposite box. Whoever’s washer lands closest to the box will get to toss first.
- Each round you will take turns throwing washers toward the boxes, ultimately aiming for the center PVC cup. Each round, each player will throw 4 washers. You can decide if you want to alternate or throw all 4 in a row.
- Players are not allowed to step in front of the box when throwing their washers.
- Only one player may score per round, scoring is determined by point-for-point cancelling. Example: Player 1 lands 2 washers in the box, Player 2 lands 1 washer in the box. Player 1 is awarded 1 point because the other point was cancelled out by Player 2. Each round one player will gain the difference in score.
- If a washer lands inside the PVC, 3 points are awarded
- If a washer lands inside the pit but does NOT land in the cup, 1 point is awarded
- No points are awarded for missing or bouncing off the pit area. The washers MUST land inside the box to be scored.
- If a washer lands DIRECTLY on the side of the box, that team automatically wins the game!
- To win a game of washers, a player or team must be the first to score 21 points. If you score 21 points in the final round, the opponent still has the opportunity to score.
- You cannot exceed 21 points. If you exceed 21 points, your score is reduced back to 15.
This game is such a fun activity for all ages. If you do not want to make your own washers game, you can purchase a set here!